Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) by Erdal Ozkaya
“Shoud we Upgrade or not” article took lots of attention last week, I had many e-mails, asking how they can get the FREE Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and install it. This article is all about PSI :
The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs which can leave your PC open to attacks.
Simply put, it scans software on your system and identifies programs in need of security updates to safeguard your PC against cybercriminals. It then supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe. The Secunia PSI even automates the updates for your insecure programs, making it a lot easier for you to maintain a secure PC.
Using a scanner like Secunia PSI 3.0 is complementary to antivirus software, and as a free computer security program, is essential for every home computer. It constantly monitors your system for insecure software installations, notifies you when an insecure application is installed, and even provides you with detailed instructions for updating the application when available.
To download Secunia PSI simply visit their web site at: www.Secunia.com
PSI supports multiple languages. (Danish, English, French, German, Spanish, Norwegian and Dutch)
Windows XP Sp3 till Windows 10 (Windows 10 is not officially supported yet, but my demo and this article is based on my Windows 10 Build 9860)
To install and run the Secunia PSI you require administrative privileges. If you don’t have admin privileges you should make sure to have someone who has the rights next to you during the installation.
STEP by STEP installation:
- Go to Secunia web site and download Secunia PSI
2. Click “Download Now
3. If you wish to help your friends to have an easier “Software Patch Environment “ you can share Secunia PSI with them right from the web site in to Social Media Account. You can slick “Yes, share link” or “No thanks” ( Bottom left site)
4. Microsoft Windows is going to ask if you wish to save the PSISectup.exe or run it. If you have multiple computers that you want to use PSI I would recommend you to save it and share it via your Network or USB, if not you can run the software…
Download will continue, and once it’s done Windows will scan it and let you know that the download is complete.
5. Double Click the PSISetup.exe file
6. Windows User Account Control will warn you which you can safely ignore. But it’s always a very good practise to double check the Software Publisher, in this case you will see that the publisher is Secunia
7. Select your installation Language
8. Read the welcome page, its recommended you close all your applications during the installation to avoid reboot of your PC,
9. Read the End User License Agreement (EULA) If you agree tick the Accept button, if not cancel the installation
10. If you have agreed, it’s time to select your “Automatic Update Configuration”, select the best option which applies to you. In this case I would select the recommend path
11.The installation will start ,
and if nothing goes wrong it will complete where you can click the Finish button.
You can lunch the software right after the installation has completed its tasks 🙂
12.Based on your computer speed and applications, Secunia PSI will examine your PC
13.In my case it detected missing Windows Update ( Yes, Windows 10 Beta)
14. PSI will direct you to the Windows Update settings
15.Once the update is complete, you can go ahead and check your other software’s which requires “patch” in my case my WinRar Software required update,
Just go ahead and click “update software” , it will take you to the verified software vendor web page, where you can update your software
After the update PSI will examine your PC again
If the installation happened successfully, you will get a System score of 100%, if not you need to patch your other missing updates and until you update all your software you will not reach the score of 100
“What if you have a few more computers?
The same scanning capabilities of the PSI are available in the commercial edition: Secunia Corporate Software Inspector (CSI).
The CSI also provides full integration with existing Microsoft Deployment Tools SCCM and WSUS so you can now manage the deployment of critical patches for non-Microsoft updates in the same manner that you deploy Microsoft updates.
Secunia CSI provides the Vulnerability Intelligence, Vulnerability Scanning, Patch Creation and Patch Deployment to effectively address the challenge of 3rd party application patch management.”
Secunia Corporate Software Inspector (CSI) Request Unlimited Trial
If you need to scan more than one host during your evaluation of the Secunia CSI, you can request a 30 day trial with unlimited scans by filling out the form below.